View Single Post
Old 02-17-2018, 08:48 AM   #7
Steve-W

Re: 1969 Custom/10 clean up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deckguy44 View Post
Got standard light cab roof. Ever seen one?
you mean the cargo light? isn't it an option on all trucks?

Time to get back in touch with the community here. I've been suffering from "internet detraction". Just couldn't get myself to go online and post on FB, or linkedIn or forums.

But winter is almost over and I've been busy on the truck, so might as well give y'all an update.

I'm still running 6 lug in the back (std. 12 bolt) and 5 lug in front because of the crossmember swap I did in the beginning. So I saw an add for a 5 lug 10 bolt which came of a '78 G20. it didn't cost much thus I bought it, not realizing it was for a leaf-spring setup, where I have coil-spring on my C10.

But they both have 30 spline c-clip axels, so I though I could just swap them.
Not so much..the axles from the 10 bolt are about 4"s longer. I should have know it wouldn't be that easy. I am glad though that from taking a peek on the inside, both look very healthy, although I never bothered to change the oil on my 12 bolt.

what to do then? 6 to 5 lug converters? or swap the rear ends? Only trouble then is that I have to convert the 10 bolt to coil spring, but maybe that's not as hard as it sounds? (ideas welcome) and how can I find out that that will do with my differential ratio? or do I have to re-open it and count teeth? I looked on http://www.drivetrain.com but couldn't find any 5 bolt axles which would fit in my 12 bolt.

Oh and I swapped my trans gasket for a silicone one..but it leaks even harder now! So i bought another one which I'll put in tonight. We did use liquid gasket as well, maybe that isn't necessary when using a silicone gasket?

here a pic of the 10 bolt
1950 GMC 100
1958 Chevy C60 Viking ratrod

Last edited by Steve-W; 02-17-2018 at 12:11 PM.
Steve-W is offline   Reply With Quote