Thread: 292 Questions
View Single Post
Old 07-13-2019, 11:37 PM   #141
May70

Re: 292 Questions

I called around none of the shops here are doing gas tanks anymore. One shop said he had one done a couple months ago and the closest place was in MD, and they cut the tank open, blast, coat and weld back ($$$$$$$$$). Soooo, ive had 10 gallons of Walmart's finest white vinegar sitting in this tank for maybe 5 days ish. Cost me $25. Its working wonders. I poured it out and filtered it, then put it back in. There was no residue left just mostly clean metal, I rinsed it out good so maybe that was the difference. I ran the chain through only a few times. Once I get it pretty well cleaned up with the vinegar Im not going to empty it until I am ready to start what ever sealing kit I buy.

The truck is a 1970 c20. I have no reason to believe this isnt the original 292 motor, i haven't looked at the vin on it yet so I dont know for sure. I dont know if its had any major work done to it. Honestly the PO(s) neglected this thing pretty bad, its been leaking for a loooooong time, so I would be surprised if he paid for major work to be done. The rockers/cab corners they did put on were a shabby job, looks like a street sign in part of the floor pan. Not saying I know one way or another. I dont know if this is the original head etc.

Once I get all this fuel/carb situation straightened out and it runs decent the head is coming off and im doing valve seals. I am really hoping this bogging out problem is an issue with fuel delivery. With the tank cleaned out, new rubber lines, metal lines blown out and a new fuel pump... I think ill find out pretty quick.

I think I only saw one reply, Mike, about the carb gasket and that was basically that I probably only needed the thick gasket. The kit I ordered is specifically for the monojet so not sure why multiple options on manifold-throttle body gasket. I guess its a just in case type deal but it would be nice to know.

Ive been looking at 2 part systems to coat the tank and single stage products. There is a never ending discussion with which is best I know but a two part theoretically will out perform a single stage in almost any situation. Caswell's sealer looks good, I have not found any bad reviews on and it says its an option to fix failed kreem or por15 jobs. They want 100$ for the 20gal tank kit..too much for me probably.. Haven't decided on which coating yet. Even if you don't use an etching product its going to rust back with bare metal, if the rust was there once, any coating from the factory is long gone. I did look at metal rescue but doesn't coat it, it leaves bare metal and in the description it says 'ready for use or additional processing' which means ready for coating of some sort. That's basically where im at now. For all of these reasons I would definitely elect to coat it or buy new, just in general. Im not going to buy new at this point because when I do start a full blown restore I will hopefully be moving the tank out of the cab. Now I am not ready to do that and don't want to drop $200 on a tank im not keeping. Ive watched several youtubes where a quart could have done two or more 20 gallon tanks with the por15 stuff.

I haven't done much in the way of installing new fuel pump or checking which plugs I should be using. Had some health issues going on and have been trying to get my 62 runabout 100% complete. Hopefully ill get the fuel system back in within a few more days.

Thanks for all the feed back and stickin with me. Much appreciated and I am surprised with how much I am learning. No wonder they call it a labor of love. Its cool to see so many people helpin others out online!!

Last edited by May70; 07-14-2019 at 10:31 AM.
May70 is offline   Reply With Quote