Thread: 47-55.1 My 53 GMC 3/4 ton project
View Single Post
Old 11-11-2021, 12:49 AM   #1
Nima
Blue 67

My 53 GMC 3/4 ton project

Hi:
I have been a member of this site for many years. I joined when I got my 1967 and now I have my 53 but due to my limited mechanical skills I have been more of the reader (user) than contributor. Now that I am restoring my 53 I thought to share my build process.
For some reasons I always end up with 3/4 ton trucks which have always created some challenges as far as finding the right parts for them but I don't mind it since I really like the 8 lug wheels and the stance of the 3/4 ton trucks.
So, here we go:
The plan for this farm fresh truck is become a reliable daily driver while keeping the 3/4 ton status although it won't haul or tow anything major although I think it would be cool to tow with older trucks. I want as much modern as possible suspension (again being 8 lug) and as much as I could technically and financially afford. It is not all out (financially) project. I like to keep the old beat-up look with a reliable interior and drive train.
I am installing a 14 bolt full float axle in the back with 8 lug disc brake swap, and I just refresh the front end with all new parts and 8 lug disc brake conversion. The engine will be a 5.3 vortec paired with 4l60E tranny in stock form from a 2001 truck. I do all the wiring modification myself.
I have (and will have more) tons of questions since this is the first project at this scale and this is my first 1st series truck. I appreciate your help along the way.
Here is my farm fresh truck. It came to me with everything in the bed and few pound of rat and wasp nests in the cab!
Attached Images

1979 Camaro Z28: 5.3 vortec conversion with build TH350: drivable project, Fun to drive
1992 Camaro RS convertible (Z28 clone): 5.3 conversion with build T5: on going project
2005 Silverado 2500, 4x4 Duramax, original owner

Last edited by Nima; 11-12-2021 at 09:18 PM.
Nima is offline   Reply With Quote