Thread: Rear Main Seal
View Single Post
Old 03-25-2024, 09:57 AM   #4
chevmn

Re: Rear Main Seal

Quote:
Originally Posted by RustyPile View Post
That Sneaky Pete tool is for the old rope seal of the 50s - 60s.. Not for the modern 2-piece neoprene seal.. Loosen (but don't remove) all the other main cap bolts except #1. About 1/8" is all that's needed. Use a small brass punch to get the old seal started moving. Once the upper half is in place, re-torque the main cap bolts previously loosened. Install the lower seal half. Don't use any sealant anywhere on the seal pieces. Put a very small "dot" of sealant on the block in the rear main cap recessed "seat" area between the upper seal half and the end of the pan gasket. Install and torque the rear main cap. This procedure is referenced in the Engine (section 6) section of the Factory Service Manual.
I will try loosening all the main caps, except the front. Every other procedure I have seen does not mention this, only remove the rear main. Makes perfect sense to allow the crank room for seal to slide out more easily. I actually realized I have the 72 factory service manual, but the one I have makes no mention of loosening anything but the rear cap. May have been added in later versions.
chevmn is offline   Reply With Quote