View Single Post
Old 03-20-2004, 06:28 AM   #13
fine69

Jewels, i tried to pm this to you. But your 'BOX' is full. Whoa.

No,you read that wrong. I meant surface the flat part of the manifold that hits the engine.
When a manifold is repeatedly heated to 1200 degrees and the cooled it will take its toll. Try this happening daily or even just a few times a week for 30+ years.
The tough manifold to find is the rights side(passenger)anyway. GM didnt put a hanger close enough to the manifold on these trucks. And the right side always cracked from vibration way before the left side did.
If you get used manifolds. And the studs need replaced(which would be a good idea anyway) most shops charge $15.00 a stud to replace. Multiply that by 6 studs. OUCH. Because you would be a damn fool to not put new studs in. And correct me if i am wrong here, YOU AINT A DAMN FOOL. Oh yea, brand new studs are only a buck($1) each.
I just think that by the time you fight warped manifolds,crusty studs(i said crusty,hehe) and a irritated mechanic you should consider the alternative.
New manifolds= no trouble
Old manifolds= old manifolds=parts that may break next year.
I know one thing, i didnt know new ones were that cheap now. Next time i want manifolds for a SB truck i will call Tim Christian. I aint messin' with old crap.
I know you value my opinion and know that i wouldnt try to spend your money foolishly. I also know that money doesnt grow on trees. It may be printed on them. But didnt grow there. I just think for not much more cash you could have new.
fine69 is offline   Reply With Quote