View Single Post
Old 12-28-2020, 10:27 AM   #15
skyphix

Re: radiator selection

Quote:
Originally Posted by ls1nova71 View Post
I'm not here to argue which one is better, but every Chevy truck with an LS engine up to 06 or so only had one engine driven clutch fan, and they all had A/C, and all worked fine. The main reason. They don't use them anymore isnt because an electric fan is any better, its for fuel economy, plain and simple. Its not even a noticeable amount either. I was just stating that a clutch fan won't burn out on you in the middle of nowhere like an electric fan can. Not saying it will. I too carry a spare fuel pump, but in the car I drive the most, there's not a lot of room to be hauling around a lot of spare parts. The fans I use are quality parts, but I have 100k plus miles on my swaps, and things don't last forever.
I think both are viable options, but twice I have lost a fan clutch in the middle of no-where and had to drive home with the heat on in the middle of summer trying to keep the temp below nuclear temps.

Ultimately, I have no issue using either. Parts fail. I've had 200+k mile electric fans (the ones in my squarebody, for instance) that have lived a harsh life of all dusty/unpaved roads, and I have had 200+k mile clutch fans. I've also had both systems fail at about the same rate. Both do the job intended.

For the original poster, I'm using a 2006 GMC Yukon 34" core radiator with the surge tank and the dual fan setup out of that same Yukon. I've only got one wired in right now and it keeps the truck plenty cool enough. The radiator you posted looks like it will physically work.
skyphix is offline   Reply With Quote