View Single Post
Old 03-31-2020, 02:13 PM   #82
Onry69CST

Re: Budget Shortbed: welding, grinding, rust oh my

I've had to fix every door component on the drivers side, talk about time consuming.

Here is how I am fixing the stuck rollers on the window tracks. I figure its worth posting to help others.

Chisel up the back of the rivet head, but do not cut it off! Working around the rivet slowly raise the head up, until you can get a 90 degree chisel to finish raising it. The 90 degree chisel is crucial so that you aren't cutting the rivet head off.

Once its raised enough, take a very small punch, I used thick TIG rod and held it with pliers, and punch out the roller. Brace each side of the arm good, and hit it pretty hard.

Once that pops out and flies across the shop, punch the metal body out of the plastic roller. Clean the rust off of the roller and regulator arm, and I greased mine just a bit.

To reinstall I hammered it back in to seat it, then expanded the rivet with a combination of center punches, and tapered punches that I ground out of bolts. Don't put in the wrong side!

The rivet will probably crack some when setting. If the rivet just blows out, I still set it in, then ground a nail with a blunt tip just larger than the rivet hole. I pound the nail into the back of the rivet, forcing the sides out as much as possible, and it seems to be a good connection. Not ideal though.

Setting the rivet required a setup with two vices, one to hold the regulator arm, and one to hold a small carriage bolt. I place the head of the roller stud directly atop the carriage bolt. This way you can properly set the rivet while not damaging the roller.

Pics to follow
Onry69CST is offline   Reply With Quote