View Single Post
Old 11-06-2020, 12:08 AM   #19
Sevens

Re: Project '65 - The "build" thread

I actually had some more time to spend on my truck this week.

I removed the heater and deleted the heater hoses. I am in the process of ordering heater delete plates from Captainfab.

Flushed my radiator and installed a new thermostat, rad hoses, and rad cap.

Removed the 1980s green glow Alpine cassette player. I have a radio delete plate that I will probably install for now.

I also installed new battery cables. The old negative cable seemed brittle and the positive was two pieces of cable "spliced" together using a brass ground rod clamp...I wish I had taken a photo before I removed it, but they used one of these to "clamp" them together and then wrapped it in electrical tape:

Name:  ground rod.jpg
Views: 427
Size:  35.7 KB

I'm not sure why they went through all the trouble to do that and didn't just replace the whole wire...

I also pulled the hinges off of my "new" doors and rebuilt two of them in preparation of mounting the "new" D/S door which I would like to get on this week sometime.

Spent some time today at a friend's shop:

My factory bench seat was/is in rough shape. PO left the D/S window down most of the time...even in the rain.

Name:  OLD IN IMG_7519.jpg
Views: 430
Size:  73.8 KB

First, the old came out:

Name:  OLD OUT IMG_7522.jpg
Views: 380
Size:  48.1 KB

Name:  OUT TWO IMG_7524.jpg
Views: 426
Size:  58.2 KB

Then after a bit of fabrication (I don't have the tools to do metal work, so I enlisted some help...), we built brackets to mount the split bench seats that I purchased off of Craigslist. Each seat is mounted independent of the other and, with the use of the original hardware, both are still adjustable. The photo makes it look like they aren't level with one another...but they are.

Name:  NEWIMG_7525.jpg
Views: 427
Size:  64.8 KB

The "new" seats look really good in the truck, the leather even matches my interior.

I'm trying to decide if I should keep the factory bench or not...

I had planned to be a lot further into this project this year, but thanks to COVID and me getting laid off...I am just working on the little things for now. It feels good to make some progress, even if it isn't much.

'65 GMC that identifies as a Chevrolet
Sevens is offline   Reply With Quote