View Single Post
Old 03-29-2024, 04:04 PM   #38
dsraven

Re: GMC LS Swap Radiator question

and, of course, pressure test to the same pressure as the rad cap or maybe a psi or two more. let it sit for 15 minutes, then see if the pressure held before saying "all good". then start it up, burp the system and top up as you go. run it to operating temp for a few minutes, ensure you have heat from the heater etc. then shut off and leave a few minutes before crawling underneath to check for any wet spots that may appear. when pressure testing always look for seapage around hoses and quick connects for heaters etc, heater valves that may be inline, frost plugs, block heaters, rad tube to tank connections, if a plastic tanked rad check the gaskets where the plastic meets the aluminum, water pump shaft seal, in intake manifold to head areas, thermostat gasket/seal, anywhere that has a coolant gasket or seal.
forgot to mention previously that when the cooling system is flushed a new OEM branded thermostat should be installed. I have done many aftermarket stats because thats what the owner wanted. now I will not install anything but an OEM stat. I have done too many redo's because of an aftermarket stat that either doesn't work right outta the chute or else it calves in a short time. no heat up or overheating, neither is good.
dsraven is offline   Reply With Quote