View Single Post
Old 03-25-2023, 11:50 PM   #3015
Dan in Pasadena

Re: Danny Boy is BAACK! w/ '55 Big Window

Back to the era-correct 1951 license plates in post #3005:

A friend from another forum with VERY good equipment is restoring the plates for me. Yesterday he tapped out the minor dents, sandblasted, and primered them 2 coats in automotive grade paint. He then painted them black and will let that cure a few days before taping them completely. Then by sanding the tape off the numbers & letters gently the yellow will only be applied to the raised numerals. Easy peasy. They will look as good as new since these plated were in VERY good condition - in terms of the metal - as they were and honestly? They weren't all that nice looming brand new in 1951!

Does anyone know why this era plate has the additional two holes top and bottom in the middle compared to modern plates? I thought it was something done to these by a former owner but searching online they all have them. Weird.

PS: A little metal corner tag for 55 that goes on this plate in good condition is $120!! Holy moly. A crappy, rusty one is $85. Sheesh. Anyone know a cheaper source? Better yet, anyone HAVE one they will sell me cheaper than these?
Attached Images

Dan's '55 Big Window "Build" - Well, Kinda!
Dan in Pasadena is offline   Reply With Quote