View Single Post
Old 03-13-2013, 04:19 PM   #139
scrappy

Re: How about some pics of custom stereos

This isn't a super custom install by any means but it's something that could easily be done in any vehicle. I wanted a new head unit in my 91 vw gti with cd player & usb hook up for my i-pod but didn't want the usb connector on the face of the unit because I didn't like the idea of having cord's hanging down from my dash. I got a fairly nice & inexpensive alpine unit that had a usb cord adapter on the back of it than I went down to norvac(a computer parts store) & got a 6" usb adapter cord for a pc hard drive that has 2 screw flanges on it for screwing it to the hard drive frame. I removed the glove box insert from my car & found an out of the way place to cut a rectangle hole for the male usb cord, drilled 2 small holes on each side of the rectangle hole & screwd the usb adapter to the top back side of the glove box insert. Now I can plug my i-pod into the glove box & keep it out of sight. By the way, the alpine unit I have controls the i-pod so I don't have to change songs on the i-pod itself. It's done from the head unit:

scrappy is offline   Reply With Quote