View Single Post
Old 09-25-2010, 04:44 PM   #1
67Slider

69 Camaro Gas Tank Install

I have been wanting to install a behind the license plate tank since I bought my truck. I took this as an opportunity to help anyone else who may want to go this route.

Mods - If this need to go someplace else - no problem with me.

Here goes.......

I bought a 69 Camaro gas tank(18 Gallon), sending unit, straps and anti, squeak kit from a company off of E-bay by ther name of Tamraz for 194.00 shipped. Don't order off ebay, just call the company tell them about the forum and this install and they "may" cut you a deal. Don' bother with the 69 Camaro gas tank straps. It's easier to fabricate your own than use theirs. See if they will swap out the straps for the anti-squeak kit.

Their # is 1800-442-4601

Here is a list of other items needed:

Flip down license plate holder - 10.00 U-pull
6 ft metal tubing 2"x3" and 8' of 1"x 1/8 strapping - $30 at steel distibutor
10' 3/8 tubing, 4' rubber fuel line, locking gas cap, union for tubing - 32.00 @ Autozone
Misc hardware to mount tank to frame and fuel line - $10 at hardware store

Total about 276.00
[IMG][/IMG]

I started by mocking up the tank to the frame to see how much of a spacer I would need with my bumper
[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

Once I got the right height I took off the license plate bracket and cut out a square with the cut off wheel, drilled a couple of holes in the bracket and mounted the flip down holder.
[IMG][/IMG]

I cut the 2x3 square, drilled the holes and mounted it to the frame. After that I cut the 1x1/8 and bent them into the shape of the tank, drilled holes and did a test fit.
[IMG][/IMG]

Put everything in place and slid the anti squeak pieces in, tightened it all down.
[IMG][/IMG]

Took out the old tank and fuel lines and pre-bent the new lines to match the old one.
[IMG][/IMG]

Then installed the front portion using the old clips. Installed the back portion with some new clips and hoses.
[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]

I still need to hang the exhaust so that it doesn't hit the tank and smooth the old gas neck hole but that will be another day.

Here is the finished product.
[IMG][/IMG]

I have to say thanks to Bad70sbchevy, without his pics and info none of this would have gotten done. This is truly his build I just detailed it a bit more.

I took a bunch more pics and they are in my gallery if you want to check them out.

Matt