View Single Post
Old 11-02-2009, 02:33 PM   #1
k2rm

Ashtray slide out LCD screen

A few weeks ago I posted some pictures of the slide out LCD screen mount I put together in response to questions about aftermarket radio solutions. I built this system since I am one of those people who didn't want to cut the dash, and preferred to keep a more original look while enjoying 21st century electronics.

People were interested in learning more about it so I have started this thread to show how I put it together. Over the next couple of days, I will add a parts list and detailed pictures that shows how I did it.

The electronics are a Kenwood CarPortal system that utilizes a "head unit" that can be mounted under or behind the seat. The LCD screen can control anything you plug into the head unit, which includes (all optional) a CD changer, USB thumbdrive loaded with music, IPod, Bluetooth, Navigation, XM radio, back up camera, or whatever else one wants to add. It has a built in Tuner. Pictured here is the smaller of two optional LCD screens. You can even wire the stock radio into it and hear your original radio as a novelty.

This slideout mechanism can also be used for Garmin or other GPS nav systems. This can also be a good solution since many of these new nav systems have MP3 capability and bluetooth.

Here are the completed pics:
Attached Images

k2rm is offline   Reply With Quote