View Single Post
Old 01-04-2010, 09:19 AM   #19
palposity

Re: 1980 C10 Build Project

Quote:
Originally Posted by menace121978 View Post
looks like a good time! the fact that the truck has been around the family since new is a great motivator and it'll give some good leverage when you start buying parts. very cool...

as for whAt paint to use on the frame, i went with eastwoods extreme chassis black primer and paint. couldnt be happier... very chip resistant, all fluid resistant, and coats beautifully. i had the same problem when choosing which to go with. but what did it was the fact that powdercoating will eventually knick or chip and you cant just touch up a small chip. and what if you wanna notch the frame or anything later down the road? as for the por15, i have read more than once that if your not painting it over a rusted surface it will come off in sheets. imo(after many hours of research) i'd use a good paint and primer after sandblasting it clean.

oh yea, the other thing you may want to concider(i almost did this) was sandblast the frame and spray water over it after to start a bit of surface rust after a couple days and then coat with por15. i have heard of other guys doing this with good results. but with the rust your already dealing with thats the last thing you probably wanna do! good luck man!

Great tips! Thanks very much. I am still in tear down mode with both the project and the donor truck. I will post pics soon.
Project #1 "Pops"--1980 Chevrolet Scottsdale C10 3rd Generation in the same original owner family. GOAL: Restore to "almost" original.
View Project Pops HERE

Project #2 "Cletus"--1986 Chevy K20 4.10 Gear Ratio GOAL: Restore into a heavy duty work/plow rig
View Project Cletus HERE - SOLD

DD--2008 Duramax CCSB
palposity is offline   Reply With Quote