Thread: 47-59 V8 Camshaft Durability
View Single Post
Old 03-19-2024, 02:16 PM   #8
mr48chev

Re: V8 Camshaft Durability

We ran shell Rotella in every rig on the dairy that I worked on from the new IH tractor to the old Oliver tractor and everyting in between without issies.

I did see a lot of that put high detergent oil in an old engine with a lot of miles on it and it would start burning oil for that reason though as it had been run on straight 30 weight non detergent since the day it was new and changed at ever 1 or 2 thousand miles.

I even rebuilt a couple of those engines in high school auto shop as a student when they were brought in because all the sudden they burned a lot of oil not longer after a schoolmate had bought it. One had the rods and mains wiped out. A mid 50's older person driven car that the kid's dad insisted on buying for the kid because It "had never been driven out of town and had always been taken care of" YUppers, that car got oil changes every 1K and filters at 2 K and a tune up at 10 K but the person/people who drove it never put enough miles on it at one time to warm the engine up and heat the condensation in the crankcase up enough to have it exit via the draft tube and it never exited via the draft tube because the car never got over 25 Mph. One very honestly went to church twice a week, Safeway for groceries, the beauty shop across from Safeway once a week and the funeral home and it's out of town trips were two miles to the cemetary in the next town over.

The kid's dad had a fit because he blew the engine up about two weeks after getting the car. First saturday after he bought it they drained the oil and put high detergent oil in it. Drive it to school and back for a couple of weeks and decide to go to Yakima to cruise the Ave on Friday night and blew the engine up on the way back at between 50 and 60 miles an hour. A couple of guys were behind him and drug him home with a tow chain. The old man had a fit and fell in it but when we pulled the pan the sludge was so deep and thick that there were channels where the rods had gone through the sludge. The oil pump pickup was plugged solid. We sent the crank out to be turned at the machine shop, resized the rods and did the rest of the work on the engine in the school shop and put the engine together. That made a pretty nice little car out of it.

My ongoing truck projects:
48 Chev 3100 that will run a 292 Six.
71 GMC 2500 that is getting a Cad 500 transplant.
77 C 30 dualie, 454, 4 speed with a 10 foot flatbed and hoist. It does the heavy work and hauls the projects around.
mr48chev is online now   Reply With Quote