Thread: Shipping a car
View Single Post
Old 04-13-2014, 12:10 PM   #7
BONUSCAB

Re: Shipping a car

Welp, it took close to a month from when I paid for the car, to when it showed up at my door. There were some cancelled plans and a few delays. It cost me $750 to get the car shipped 800 miles on an open single car trailer. The guy that hauled it saw it on U-ship and recognized it as being sold by a seller he has dealt with before, and contacted the seller. And that's how he got in touch with me.
While it was a running and driving car it has/had a salvage title; so driving it home wasn't an option. I couldn't get plates until the DOT here in Wisconsin inspected it. I could have just slapped plates on it and crossed my fingers, but I didn't want to be in the middle of no where and have the car impounded or a by the book sheriff or trooper telling me I can't drive that car in his state/county. Paying to have it hauled was the easiest way. Didn't have to use any vacation time, didn't have to call in any favors, no headaches alongside the road.
The car was everything I expected it it be. Needed a battery to get it off the trailer, an alternator, and a $50 HVAC part that requires the dash to be ripped apart. Oh well. It's an older car, it's been sitting a long time and the miles are so low it's never had any maintenance done to it. And buying stuff sight unseen, you never know what you're gonna get.
It passed inspection no problems so it's all tagged up and legal. Drives like a million bucks. It's a cool car. Gets a lot of compliments, have a had a few offers to buy it. As soon as I put back into my savings account what I paid for the car and transport, It's going to the body shop to get it fixed. Until then, I'm just gonna drive it and enjoy it!