View Single Post
Old 07-29-2020, 11:27 AM   #17
GOPAPA
"Tail Gate Best Seat In House"

Re: If you have a little time and want to give me a hand

Quote:
Originally Posted by '63GENIII View Post
I would be curious is the noise is constant under acceleration and deceleration vs cruise (light load) or even neutral.
I drove it home ,,with fingers crossed that it would make it ,, in traffic too.. so I can not really come up witih any thing other than in higher gears the rattle was less.. I am going to have to put the car on hold until a week or so and also after I talk the machanic into putting the car back on the hoist and taking the drive line out ,the transmission out and then check out the clutch springs.. he is a petty good guy ,he ((just)) does transmissions ..

Quote:
Originally Posted by special-K View Post
When the snubbers went out on the DMF in my '92 pressing the clutch in quieted it. It sounded like the throw-out bearing, but when it's that the noise happens when peddle is depressed. The throw-out is just floating while driving. So I went in expecting to find the front bearing bad, not knowing anything about the dumb mother... I mean dual mass flywheel. Not really unrelated. Hopefully adding some perspective.

The mechanic would have seen issues with the throw-out bearing or if it the fork was messed up. I would think he would have inspected the pressure plate and clutch disc, even before going into the transmission.

I'm somewhat doubtful of this mechanic. I don't get how he would hand your car back telling you to try adding temporary bushings to check for vibration broadcasting when he had the transmission out, went into it, and re-installed. What in creation would he not have simply replaces those gal dern mounts??? I just can not grasp that.Sounds like the load of crap the GMC dealer tried handing me when my truck went in for issues under warranty. "We couldn't get it to do that", I heard on a couple different issues. "Well, it does it for me and it needs fixed!" Another story for another day.
Tim ,I agree with on all points you made.. back when I was 18 ,,I changed out the preasure plate and clutch on my 39 I had then and I know I can do it again ,,as this time I do not have to drop the rear end,, ( no closed drive line in this one ) so, if the guy will let me work with him or at least watch ,,I am hoping he will take it all apart and put in a new clutch plate and preasure plate .. I feel almost possitive it has to be the springs in the cluch plate,,as the sound is just like what 63GENIII says it is ,,plus Y-tube video also is what It sounds like .. ( my problem is I have no one around me to lift the tranny up into place and also that car hoist sure beats me have to work on my back under it on a concrete floor with pillows under my head. I took it out by self and so I am not wanting to put it back together..

By the way are the bolts to hold the flay wheel in supposed to be tightened to 60 lbs ? seems that was what I did way back when?