View Single Post
Old 02-27-2015, 08:33 PM   #4
1Bad 37

Re: 1Bad37: C5 Corvette Meets '37 Chevy...

Bump from the dead!!! Still here and alive! Professors are doing their best to bury me in work still breathing!

Pics of taking it apart... Dang, didn't realize they were that dark...

Put some sound deadener stuff in over the summer, makes the doors not sound like tin!

Always ***** the way the mufflers could be seen from the side under the fenders...

I WILL FIX! :eek

Actually the second time the exhaust went under the knife, or should I say grinder!:rofl I angled the cans up so they can't be seen from the side, it looks 10x better...

Pull driveshafts

Diff comes out!

Time to start another pile of parts!
Like my shaft?:rofl:eyebrows

undo some more bolts and this heavy hunk of metal comes out!

I've always ***** the look of this solenoid on the side of the trans... AND it serves absolutely ZERO purpose. It's job is to MAKE you shift from 1st gear to 4th! Thanks Chevy!:dontknow:
Stupid thing out of there for a small mod! (it had no idea what was coming!:rofl

I kinda broke the connector last year stepping on it, But I never had it hooked up anyway since I want a 6 speed not a 4!
It met the (cough) reaper (cough) I mean grinder.
Made a weld on that little rod to keep the plunger thing from rattling out and jamming something up in the trans. Sand it up with the DA and done.

Finished install! Looks much cleaner! Looks much better to me and that's all that matters. I can shorten the wiring harness to get rid of the 1-4 solenoid wires and I have a 6 speed again!

More parts for the pile!!!:rofl

Shaft is getting longer!:rofl1:

The rest are pretty much random pics of stuff! I may or may not be trying to polish this shiz up.:rofl It would look killer but it would be a major PITA so IDK yet...:rofl

Why tear it all down?
Well, 1st gear pops out and grinds pretty much every time I select 1st and use some throttle (apply torque). The weird part is that if I select 1st and hold the shifter in 1st (pushing on the gate) and slowly let out the clutch, it will make a loud clunk. After the cluck it will operate as it should, I can burn the tires or whatever, and shift into 2nd like normal...

Also, when engine braking like when rolling up to a stop sign, I can stick it in 1st and let the clutch out while rolling slow and it will still pop out and make all manner of grinding noise. Again, once I've clunked it into 1st, I can decelerate just fine...

All the other gears work normally, and the clutch works ok as well...

I asked on LS1tech and these pics are recycled from that thread...

1st gear

IMG_7439m by Der E30, on Flickr
1/2 fork, looks fine to me…

IMG_7435m by Der E30, on Flickr
3rd

3rd:4th slider by Der E30, on Flickr
3-4 slider from 3rd side… Most of the sliders look more or less like this, pretty good as far as I know...

3rd slider by Der E30, on Flickr

IMG_7456m by Der E30, on Flickr

IMG_7457m by Der E30, on Flickr

IMG_7454m by Der E30, on Flickr
IMG_7453m by Der E30, on Flickr

IMG_7450m by Der E30, on Flickr
IMG_7449m by Der E30, on Flickr

The more I look at the teeth on 1st gear itself, the more I think that the circled area could be the issue, the teeth all look the same, almost rounded off right on the corner...

IMG_7446m by Der E30, on Flickr

IMG_7459 by Der E30, on Flickr

IMG_7461m by Der E30, on Flickr

IMG_7460m by Der E30, on Flickr

Gonna build basically a stage 2 trans with bronze fork pads and billet keys, new 1st gear slider, plus a short shifter and shifter cup along with some GM fluid. No new 1st gear for now, my wallet hurts enough for one day...

It throwing the lever out of 1st was the number 1 reason for second gear drifts and burnouts.. It is enormously pissing to have it pull that crap, especially when you've driven the stupid thing like 600 miles EVER
1Bad 37 is offline   Reply With Quote