View Single Post
Old 04-12-2019, 10:47 PM   #6
Bluerust

Re: 86 K30 Restomod LS swap AKA Blue Rust

Some of the parts of this project I didn't take adequate pictures.

I decided on a 4" lift with mostly ORD components, crossover steering, tough country front ez ride springs, rear 3" custom blocks.

For right or wrong I decided on this project to try a panhard or track bar since converting to the crossover steering. I figure it has to help keep the front end in place. The 7.3 fords have a track bar with leafsprings and some jeeps. I could tell a difference in my ford when the track bar bushings were shot.

The dana 60 and 14 bolt got pulled apart, sandblasted, painted, and reassembled with new parts as needed. I upgraded to 35 spline outer axle shafts and Yukon hardcore hubs. A steel tubing mount for the track bar was added to the axle tube. I also made a custom dual steering stabilizer mount because most aftermarket stuff is so cheesy.

Something notable I found is that the front and rear cast iron hubs were not machined accurately on the wheel and brake disc/drum faces. The new front discs had almost 0.010" runout on the hubs originally when checked with a dial indicator. After measuring and machining the front hubs in a lathe, I got them true'd up. Turned the drums so they run true also.
The rear 14 bolt had one rear hub machined so out that I had to find another from another axle. I couldn't machine it round and keep the drum pilot bore the size it needed to be.

That explained the vibrating brakes....they don't make 'em like they used to, thankfully...

I kept the old drum brakes to keep a working parking brake, I may change to a newer 14 bolt axle one day if its a problem. I'd never realized these trucks have dump truck sized drums....
Attached Images

Bluerust is offline   Reply With Quote