View Single Post
Old 05-28-2015, 11:43 AM   #80
burnitg

Re: Project Screamer - '72 GMC K2500 + DD 4-53T

Linkage will be the death of me yet...

Since the weather has improved, I have been spending a lot of time on outside projects. But, we are still having those lovely afternoon thunderstorms giving me a chance to work on the truck.

I have been working on the clutch linkage. I have made some progress by repurposing parts from the C-70; but, I am not there yet. Here's the progress to date:

Z-bar, we don't need no stinking Z-bar! This bell crank came off of the clutch linkage for the C-70. With a little bending and re-clocking the arms, it is going to work for the GMC. Here's the side view:

Name:  Clutch Bell Crank - side.jpg
Views: 2083
Size:  91.5 KB

Here's the front view:

Name:  Clutch Bell Crank - front.jpg
Views: 2569
Size:  80.1 KB

The window between the starter and the motor mount is very small. The linkage will go to the rear past the clutch shaft and then back forward to meet the arm at the end of the shaft. I had to repurpose a pivot from the C-70 to make this happen. Here's the pivot mocked up:

Name:  Clutch Center Pivot.jpg
Views: 2138
Size:  70.0 KB

I will have to have the clutch shaft machined to shorten it and make a keyway on the opposite side (the arm was originally pointed up and I will need to have it pointed down). After it is machined, I will install the clutch and determine the length of the arms.

While I am waiting for the machining, I decided to make the bracket to mount the transfer case lever. Here's the bracket with the lever installed:

Name:  Transfer case shifter bracket - 1.jpg
Views: 3292
Size:  73.6 KB

Name:  Transfer case shifter bracket - 2.jpg
Views: 2215
Size:  78.8 KB

I would have liked to have the lever be a little lower; but, the transmission curves toward the passenger side immediately below where I have the bolt for the lever. If I had made it lower, the lever would have been about 2" further toward the passenger side. As it is, I will have to shorten the lever. I will be looking for one plain (not chrome plated) so that I can modify it.
burnitg is offline   Reply With Quote