Thread: 1962 Chevy C20
View Single Post
Old 08-08-2010, 02:18 PM   #13
Apollo 62C20

Re: 1962 Chevy C20

Thanks for the insight. I haven't had that much experience with the rust repair and from what it sounds like it may be too big of a job for me (especially now). The idea of waiting for another cab sounds pretty good. I'm in no hurry as I am mainly focusing on the mechanics now. I have done quite a bit including brakes and will post some pics soon.

I have to say that this was a well built machine. Most of the repairs I have done haven't been repairs as much as long overdue maintenance i.e. lubricate, adjust....

My Dad and I are going to pull the motor this week and install quite a few new gaskets. I bought the FELPRO full set online for ~$65 which was near the cost of just a few of them locally. Part #FEL FS7619B3 The set came with a rope gasket (pretty cool...my first) and a rubber. I think that the rope is for earlier blocks but I will see when it comes out.

I took this pic of the interior after a clean up...great cockpit design. The other 2 are the motor which seems to be running strong but leaking a bit everywhere. It smokes a VERY LITTLE bit out of the breather cap...in other motors i would assume this was blow by from the rings but pops said it could be the valve stem seals on this type. The gasket set came with o-ring type valve stem seals but I would like to find the "umbrella style" to put on it. Ant idea if these are available for this motor? Anyways...off to pick up an engine hoist from a buddy. Thanks for all the input...
Attached Images

Apollo 62C20 is offline   Reply With Quote