View Single Post
Old 10-29-2012, 06:13 PM   #103
dug224

Re: Dug's 1959 Fleetside

Finally got back on the project. I included a series of photos that start with the front left cab mount placement. First photo is of the mount bolted to the bottom of the cab. The mount was not quite large enough to reach the frame so I tried my hand at fabrication for the first time and extended it with small pieces of frame metal that came off the frame horns. Turned out pretty good thanks to my grinders but my MIG welding leaves much to be desired. Had a blast doing it and can see how you can get carried away and start doing crazy things like pancaking a hood and such!!!! Practice practice practice....

Once the cab was on, I reinstalled the front clip less the inner fenders. The orignal core support fits nicely but is not quite centered on the frame horns although the outside face of the front tires are positioned exactly the same distance from the face of the fenders on both sides. Off about 3/4". The Envoy engine location is not centered in the frame either so it looks a bit out of sorts. Can't explain it. As long as the tires are in the correct location, I am going with it. Note the Envoy body mounts will be welded to the '59 core support (upside down from stock) and they will sit on top of the Envoy frame. I mocked up the inner fender with cardboard and have determined the amount of material that will have to be removed to clear the suspension. Will cut those out next weekend.

Put the doors in the holes using clamps. The hinges were welded to the driver door and worn out on the passenger door so much work to do. I believe I can go ahead and tack the front core support mounts without hanging the doors. Just need to make sure the front fenders and cab body line are all lined up.
Attached Images

dug224 is offline   Reply With Quote