Thread: poppin out?
View Single Post
Old 09-25-2003, 12:37 PM   #22
jewels.

Quote:
Originally posted by sniper2321
the vibration in you drive line is keeping the worn synchro in contact with each other until it goes away and then allows it to pop out. it is a simple fix if you can find the parts but you might have a worn gear with chips that you will have to look for when you poop off the side cover mark the likage location so that you can put it back the way it worked with out binding. also your drive shaft might be whipping that is giving you the vibration. i have some parts and a 4 spd lmk if you need them. what kind of engineering do you do and could you look over some F1 suspension design that i have to see if they can work properly.

ooooh - you just made me think of something.....
my slip yolk is a little funny on one side - but the side where it is 'funny' is way deep in the tranny - so i dont think that will affect anything - but i suppose it *could* be making the drive shaft 'whip'....

but to be honest - it sounds like your description of the "worn synchro" is more likely the problem --- i would almost bet that it is tranny related - because of the feel when it POPs.

i am a mechanical engineer - finishing my master's degree. i defend my thesis proposal on monday (of next week). then i am moving to kansas city to pursue a non-engineering line of work. i would be more than happy to take a look at what you have. my focus in mechanical engineering was manufacturing at first, and parts design later.

jewels.