Thread: poppin out?
View Single Post
Old 09-25-2003, 01:20 PM   #25
crazy longhorn
Fabricate till you "puke"

Quote:
Originally posted by CPNE

This is a valid point. I know you have a "bastardized" shift linkage and the engine is in the "wrong" location for a V8.

If this turns out to be the case (and I hope it is), that's one more salvo in my arsenal for why NOT to put a V8 in the I6 position.:p

Editors note: I also know that Jewels inherited this backyard engineering and did not self-inflict it upon herself. Longhorn Man and Crazy L, what say ye?
I dont think the problem has to do with the v8 sitting on I 6 position, but it has to due with worn parts, Tom Hand nailed it "square" on the input shaft bearing, & the piolt bearing. when the trans is in 3rd gear, the syncro collar is coupled with the input shaft......if that bearig goes south, you will have the problems that you are seeing Those trannys arent hard to rebuild, & you should be able to get the brass scyncros(blocker rings), as well as small parts kit(bearings/washers/seals& gaskets). in many cases, it will be cheaper to get a good used gearbox(I still find the saginaw 3 spds in the $25-75 range from time to time). If you go the used route, be sure to install a new front bearing in the trans before you use it.......I consider that bearing a "throwaway item" , & replace it EVERY time I have a trans out. its just cheap ins, as well as the pilot bushing in the crank. I do also agree that it would be a good time to check the clutch. good luck,crazyL
69 longhorn,4" chop,3/5 drop, 1/2 ton suspension/disc brakes,1 1/2" body drop,steel tilt clip, 5.3/Edelbrock rpm intake/600 carb, Hooker streetrod shorties,2 1/2" exhaust/ H pipe/50's Flows , 6 spd Richmond trans,12 bolt/ 3.40 gears....
crazy longhorn is offline   Reply With Quote