View Single Post
Old 12-11-2023, 10:54 PM   #42
CAMAROBOY68SS

Re: More on EVs from a guy trying to sell them

Its funny to look at EV's with a historical lens. When cars were invented EV's were there as well. EV's were a preferred option in cities and towns as they would not scare horses. They still had the base core issues as today - range and charging. Although back then electricity and batteries were new inventions on top of the car being a new invention as well. Now battery tech has greatly improved, the range issues is becoming less of a issue but its funny that its still the same 2 issues as before.

While I am not a EV fan and never will be. As mentioned above in other posts my I have similar complaints with EV's. Lack of infrastructure of actual power production and then actual charging stations. Now I am going from my personal observations and conversations with EV owners around me in the Portland area. Luckily I think we are able to produce enough power to take on a decent amount of charging. The downtown area is the worst for charging. There is little no places to do it, most of the stations in parking garages are in gated areas so no open to the public if you got caught needing a little juice and the few open to public are always in use if they are operating so its a real hassle to charge. Granted there are very few gas stations in the downtown area as well and they charge so much more your not much better off so thats a wash. Most the new housing going in downtown lacks really any parking and maybe one or two spaces for charging. With how the city of Portland works it really just gives the vibe of it being a stop gap to banning any kind of car in downtown because really no money is being invested into more charging options. Its a more local scale of the bigger pushing the cart before the horse.

It also doesn't help peoples concerns over lack of power generation when the head of the government goes to a summit and says he is shutting all the coal power plants down in a certain amount of time and then looking to go after natural gas while not really giving any solution on whats going to fill that massive hole just to make it wash. I think if thats the plan there should be rough idea of a replacement.

I dont think EV will ever catch on mainstream as a true ICE replacement for a daily driver until there is a solid way to recharge a car in roughly the same amount of time as a gas car. I think that is the one of the biggest hang ups for alot of people. Plus if everyone went EV you will not end up saving any money in the long run, because they will just jack the charge rates up since now everyone needs it. Thats just part of the cycle.

C10 Build Thread: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=833278

The "Others"
1933 Ford Pickup (Camaro in disguise)
2017 Camaro SS

Life long Chevy guy