View Single Post
Old 05-31-2019, 09:49 PM   #158
cruizin01

Re: '78 K20 to C10. Almost 20 years in the making.

Been too long since I posted an update. I continue to improve and replace several items to improve drivability on the truck.

I was able to solve most all of the issues as far as the Sniper EFI is concerned. I thought I figured it out by fixing an exhaust leak at the header collector near the o2 sensor. That unfortunately didn't solve really any of the issues. Surprisingly.

What ended up solving it was removing the darn progressive link I got from EFI source. I definitely had all my settings correct but for whatever reason it wreaked havoc on my setup. The truck runs 1k times better now. I still have some small adjustments, mostly in the cold start enrichment and some very low speed driving concerns but in general it runs well. Thank goodness.

So since installing the new gears I had a vibration on the freeway through the truck. It immediately appeared to be a driveshaft vibration because that only makes sense. So I went back through my setup and realized my driveline angles were all off. My engine and trans angle was too far down. I had to raise the tailshaft which involved reworking the trans crossmember and the exhaust. I ended up adding a flexpipe to each downpipe to help cut down on vibrations in the truck as well.

Then I had to go through and rework the pinion angle on the rear end. I ended up not using the flip kit the way it was originally intended and getting the spring pad where I wanted it and welding it in place. My trans and rear end are now parallel but the unjoint angles aren't ideal but I do not have any vibrations. This all took a lot of work to get ironed out. Everything small thing on this truck seems to affect 3 other things.

Over the past couple weeks as everything in the truck gets broken in including the rear springs, etc Im having issues with the axle hitting the frame under short quick bumps. This is pretty uncomfortable if you've never experienced this. The shocks goes right up your neck.

So I ordered up a C notch kit to install. I just went with a bolt in due to each of install. I dont imagine my welding one in place would be any stronger than a bolted unit. I decided to try and do this without removing the bed. I did just loosen the rear bolts to raise it just enough to slide the bracket in. The whole just took quite a bit of time to get everything cut, test fit, painted, installed, painted again. Overall Im happy with the outcome. I just finished tonight so I havent driven it yet. I may have issues with the exhaust hitting the axle as thats now closer than the frame to the axle. I may have to mod that next.

And just for kicks.