View Single Post
Old 11-20-2022, 02:43 PM   #13
CJM72

Quote:
Originally Posted by Accelo View Post
I helped a gal with her Z28 / IROC Camaro. Kept breaking the flex plate. I just kept installing new one. Finally got the OK to check the run-out . I reinstalled the transmission, without the converter. Just used a dial indicator, on the flex plate and indicator on the transmission, to inspect the run-out . Using the front pump machined surface I found it had .100 axial run-out in 10" diameter circle. Back of the block or the front of the transmission wasn't machined correctly. I put it back together and informed the customer of the issue. Never saw the Camaro again.
My point is the pump can take a horrendous amount of run-out and the bushing and pump lived.

You didn't mention your max rpm. Could it be ballooning? Crankshaft axial run-out?
You have covered all the major points. Time to replace the converter. I was wondering why it wasn't replaced when the pump failed the first time, or did I miss something? No way to keep the debris out the converter when the pump fails internally.
Good questions Accelo. Crank end play is well within spec. Around .003” if I recall. Flexplate to block machining looks consistent. This is a stock LQ9 in a K5, so nothing crazy for rpm. Neither failure occurred at full throttle or high rpm. Just accelerated and then nothing. Starting to suspect that my spacing is just off and needs to be shimmed.

My builder inspected the torque converter and thought it looked ok to reuse. If the pump just cracked and didn’t fragment into tiny pieces, would a torque converter replacement be required? Thinking of rebuilding or replacing the pump myself with a billet rotor. Realign oil pan and triple check converter spacing. Should a replacement convert be mandatory?
Posted via Mobile Device
CJM72 is offline   Reply With Quote