View Single Post
Old 10-15-2013, 09:03 AM   #116
hgs_notes
GEARHEAD

Re: HG's thread of miscelaneous stuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by TennesseeZ View Post
You don't want that Unimog, it's got a flat tire.
Relax, all right? My old man is a television repairman, he's got this ultimate set of tools. I can fix it.

Lets see if I can finish up yesterdays pics at least. So I make it to the mill that I'm doing the boiler inspection on. The boiler is nothing special, but one of their decommissioned ones is pretty neat, just by virtue of its age. 1902 Bros horizontal return tube boiler. I have the unfortunate circumstance of inspecting a couple of these beauties. I say unfortunate because they are still relied on after 100+ years, don't meet current codes (grandfathered in) and we insure them, so there is an elevated risk. One of them I inspect is hand stoked with wood scrap from the hardwood milling plant where its used. But it is amazing how some of this old technology has been able to survive and function as it was intended for so long. BTW, this one was operating until 2007 when the new boiler was installed.

This mill is a bit newer than the last couple I was at. They have 2 line shafts in operation. The steel beams used to build this place were all riveted construction and most of the major supports for the line shaft and through the mill are wood reinforced by steel plates. The I-beams were basically flat plate with 4 angle irons riveted to them for the length. Just think about that. Every foot of length had about 10 rivets just to form it and then more rivets if anything was attached to it and there is probably 1000s of feet in this building. Insane.

Remember the old 900 HP motor from the last mill? This one just has a 350 and 400 HP pair of motors, so they are only about 6' diameter. What makes these stand out a bit over the previous 1 is that they ARE STILL BEING USED! Holy %&^#.

Not much on the agenda for the day so it's time to make the 80 mile drive home. But a few miles south I come across a mud truck that is worth a closer look.

There is no transfer case. They made a homebuilt contraption that drives the coupled driveshafts directly from the tranny output using chain and sprockets. Looks legit.

Rear pinion brake set up.

Front hydro steer...

It was actually a pretty well sorted out machine. Kept very simple and easy to work on. Asking $3000. Time to hit the road again and I spotted a couple old trucks behind some buildings along highway 99 in Le Center. I got nothing else to do so lets waste more time...

Dodge dumper

IH hauler

My favorite out of this bunch, GMC hauler. Love the front view of this rig. Would make an awesome cab for a car hauler project.

Love the step plates they used for it. That's style right there.

And as I was pulling out I saw a couple more in the trees behind a pile of scrap. A pair of Dodges. The one on the left has the front clip sitting on the rear frame...

Lets get going. This next 1 I actually saw last week, but didn't get pics until yesterday. It's a 20 footer. The paint job is not so good nor is the bodywork in a few places, but its a good cruiser. I think its a 57 Belvedere, but not certain.

Kind of intimidating...

Still got another 30 miles or so to go. Lets stop at the Hot Rod Garage in Courtland. His doors were open so I stop for a chat. Basically all the cars are for sale but he doesn't advertise them. It's his personal hobby spot, he's not a dealer or anything. He just set himself up with the ultimate garage for his retirement.

His sound system. Comprised of a phonograph, an 8 track player, cassette player, AM/FM, and satellite radio (he got a lifetime subscription years ago when he drove truck and its really paying off) We were listening to some country album that he got from a huge pile of records he scored at the swap meet the day before for $40.

What's he got? Just a couple 55 chevys, a 33 Studebaker, a coupe and some old red pick up. You know, various old beaters...

I think this is my favorite...

The coffin on the trailer he also scored at the swap meet in Spencer, IA for $300. That's with the trailer. I was thinking of going to that 1 for something different, but stayed home. My loss.

Just 1 more to finish the day. I actually spotted this while taking a drive in my C-10 with the wife on Sunday. It's close to New Ulm and along my way home. It was worth another drive by for a pic. 68 C-30 dumper...

Still have a bunch of pics from last week to get uploaded, but I need to get to work. Enjoy!
hgs_notes is offline   Reply With Quote