View Single Post
Old 07-28-2020, 08:49 AM   #2
truckster

Re: change my own windshield?

You can do it, although it would be much easier with a helper or two. A new gasket makes things much simpler - the Precision gaskets seem to be the best. If you have trim make sure you get the gasket for the right year - there's a difference in trim depth.

Put the gasket onto the windshield and wrap a piece of 1/4" braided nylon rope into the pinchweld slot all around the gasket - it should cross at the top. Next comes the trim - put it in and use some masking tape to hold it in place.

Now you're ready to put in the windshield. This is where the helpers come in, because you're going to start installing the windshield from the top. It's one of only two I know of that are best done this way - the other was the old Jeep Wagoneer. You want to make sure you get those top corners in, and just pull the rope gently while your helpers push the glass against the pinchweld. Glass cleaner works well as a lubricant, and it's much easier to clean up than soapy water.