View Single Post
Old 08-04-2020, 09:59 AM   #1
bhemingson

Jimmy update - a question and 2 vintage accessories

I got my new to me Jimmy over to my property two weekends ago. I got it with grille off, radiator out and no carb on the engine. My brother and i got some oil in the cylinders and let it set overnight. #1 & #3 cylinder 100 lbs compression #5 0 lbs compression and #7 75 lbs compression. We figured #5 was a collapsed lifter or stuck valve. # 7 had a fair amount of corrosion on the push rods. So we yanked it out and put in an engine I bought with a pile of parts this spring. We had it in an engine cradle and hooked it to a battery and poured a little gas in and it fired immediately. In about 8 hours old out and new in. only bad discovery - some nit wit had cut the exhaust off with a sawzall and got 1/2 way thru the front drive shaft!

Questions? The locking gas cap on it was loose and all corroded. i got it off and got a good cap off a C10 tank I had kicking around. It was too small? Is the Jimmy gas cap slightly larger? Also, can I weld up the front driveshaft and grind it smooth without balancing it?

My jimmy looks modestly modified - it has some weird old mileage computer and a CB in it. Pics attached. Any idea of era for either?
Attached Images

bhemingson is offline   Reply With Quote