View Single Post
Old 09-22-2010, 01:17 PM   #9
mrein3

Re: Saddle tanks on a Fleetside?

Quote:
Originally Posted by coloradosean2009 View Post
I have one on my '72 fleet on the driver's side. I don't use it because the switch over valve has been removed. I also have concerns regarding burning up in a t-bone accident. Having seen the rapid decline in driver skill and attention with the "new cellphone age" I expect the chances of getting t-boned in an intersection has gone up significantly in the last 5 years.

If I bring it back on line, I will only use it for long haul fueling.
Most of the pukes who talk on their cell phones or text while driving are in vehicles that would crush on impact with one of the saddle tanks designed for these trucks. The saddle tanks made back then for these trucks are constructed of plate steel and are quite stout.

That NBC footage of the mid 80's GM truck exploding on impact was fabricated by NBC after they couldn't get one to blow with just the impact. Mythbusters tried to get a car to explode after driving it off a cliff. They couldn't get it to blow either. They too had to rig a charge to the tank to get it to blow. It has been a while but if I remember correctly they fastened a tank to the front of the car and put an explosive charge on that.

I have one saddle tank on my truck. I use it all the time. It holds 17 or 19 gallons I can't remember. It has the old period correct selector on the floor with room for 3 tanks total. I have one port blocked and just run on two - the seat tank and the saddle.

Some of these tanks came with a sender but more often than not they didn't. The one I got didn't have a sender so I bought a sender and gauge from JC Whitney and installed it.
Center City, MN
mrein3 is offline   Reply With Quote