View Single Post
Old 02-19-2021, 04:02 PM   #1
rustyrodknocker

6l90e no reverse

I may have posted about this before. But there has been a change so I thought I would repost. I bought a 08 Silverado for a 6.0 swap. It was a company truck and the guys were having a hard time getting it into reverse. They said it was clunky and it took several trys to get it to catch. The small repair shop that we were using
Took a look at it. Apparently they pulled the pan and head something fall out. Could not see any issues but the truck never went into reverse again.

I bought it thinking it was a 4l80. I had not even heard of the 6l90. Well, repair cost is ridiculous. The company got some quotes that I shrugged off as scammers thinking that a big company will just write the check.

It is crazy what the costs are $7400 to drive it out of the shop. There was places that could do it fof less but you have to take it to the dealer within 100 miles.

I found some exchange units for $3500 but you have to take it to a dealer and the one I talked to said they will only sell to a trans shop.

I have talked to several independents and most don't touch them.
It is clear these units have serious reliability issues. Especially 07 and 08 before they changed the oil routing.

But back to the point. When the guys were using it they said reverse worked fine if you could get it in reverse.

I just started it for the first time in a year and it felt like it went into gear then you get that feeling of rolling up against the park pawl.

Now that a little time has gone by is there anybody on here that has real world experience with these?

I would like to drive the truck as is for the time being. But I'm not dumping that kind of money into it just so I can run a used motor. Ill swap to a 4l80 when I put in my 66 suburban if need be.

The math just don't add up. I can still get reputable th350's for $575 exchange carry out.
I figure 5 hours out 5 in at $100 a day on the bench is $800 I've seen the parts list. Even if they replace a cracked sun shell. There parts are under $600. All in is less than 1/2 the lowest cost which still requires a trip to the dealer.
Even at a whole day out and in and another day on as computer don't get you there.
Its 2wd I can pull it in w hrs.

Any how if you have been in one or know something I would appreciate the help I'm wondering if its a single mechanical part issue. And not a wasted trans.
In a typical day they put it in and out of gear a ton but it never did any real work and spent 3 years rarely leaving a jobsite. I drove it 50 miles home forward gears are great.
rustyrodknocker is offline   Reply With Quote