View Single Post
Old 02-20-2021, 10:44 AM   #3
rustyrodknocker

Re: 6l90e no reverse

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1976gmc20 View Post
I just got a GM remanufactured with warranty for $3500 plus $1800 labor.

But it was totally shot; barely made it to the shop.

Not sure what the deal is with these. Some folks are reporting 200K under heavy use and other ones just break for no apparent reason.
I put close to 200k on one not knowing it was a 6 speed. It was another company truck that they bought with this one.they had quite a few of these trucks. This is the only one that I know of with a bad trans. Once I learned what it was when it did not look like the pictures of a 6l90. I then researched what it was. The 07 08 units had a lot of failures do to heat and lach of oil. They changed the oil routing to fix that.
The other common failure is weld cracking where the splined hub is welded in the clutch shell. This creates a oil pressure drop on the back side and results in slippage.

The diagnoses for that was no reverse but also no 4-5 I think.
Be for I knew any of that and the last time I drove down the high way and thru town and did not notice anything.

This is coming from a guy that put almost 200k on one but also
Thought it was a 4 gear trans.
Still don't understand why we need all these gears.

Thinking about when I pull the 6.0 I might drop in a 454 th400 that I have. It worked great in my dually with only 3 gears. Plus this truck is still a good hauler. Drives nice and has brand new tires.
rustyrodknocker is offline   Reply With Quote