View Single Post
Old 01-15-2021, 07:26 PM   #1
Estock

Powder Coat Predicament

Hi all,

I've hit my first snag with my 59 Apache build. After finding my paint colors, I took my paint pray out to my local powder coating operation a couple weeks ago. They use Prismatic powders and have a ton of chips on the wall to choose from. I found a REALLY close match that I checked in daylight, under LEDs, etc. It looked great.

Flash forward to today. I went to pick up my chassis and wheels that had been powder coated in the color I picked. The the color is WAAAAAY different. They're not even in the same ballpark.

The powder coating operation is claiming this variance is normal, but being Prismatic offers 6500 different colors I can't see how they would be this different. Hell, the wheels look noticeably different than the frame despite being done at the same time with the same color. I've called Prismatic but haven't heard back yet.

I'm at a loss. I'll either need to strip everything and redo it, hoping the coating shop helps me out on the cost, or deal with it as is. They mentioned I could topcoat it with a different color, but I'm reading mixed reviews on that.

Any tips or recommendations how to proceed? Any insight you guys can offer would really be appreciated.
Attached Images

Estock is offline   Reply With Quote