View Single Post
Old 06-13-2011, 10:22 PM   #49
theastronaut

Re: '65 Chevy C10 Long Fleet Retrospective Build Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by jocko View Post
How have i missed this thread in the past!! This is absolutely beautiful work.
Love it that you did the original white surround with black background for the grille - that seems to be missed so often or half-done (i.e. just the white surround, with body color background), which is just fine for a custom truck, looks good - but I prefer the "floating grille" look you get by doing it the factory way (that's just me though). One quick question - I noticed the way you painted the wheels with a dark center (under the hubcaps) - was that done that way from the factory? I've never seen that done before - looks good, just curious if original, and if not (or, actually, if so too) what was the purpose?

BEAUTIFUL truck, holy frijoles.
After I had the wheels blasted and epoxy primed them, I masked out the centers to keep the high build primer and paint from building up where the lug nuts seat. Didn't want thick paint/primer chipping out and loosening up the lug nuts over time... like the powdercoated wheels on my '64 VW did, leaving me stranded 50 miles from home! So the darker center is just the color of the epoxy primer.

I can understand why alot of guys don't paint the grill shell and fenders tri-tone, its alot of work! And if you don't mock up the front clip when you mask it (or mark where to mask) the tape edges won't line up when you put it back together. The "floating grill" look is the best though!

While we're on the subject, does anybody know if gloss black, or satin, or flat black is correct for the grill background? I went ahead and cleared everything but I wasn't sure... so I left it gloss.
theastronaut is offline   Reply With Quote