View Single Post
Old 02-07-2019, 08:35 PM   #110
71CHEVYSHORTBED402

Re: Build that 71 402 already

Quote:
Originally Posted by weim55 View Post
Curious... Could you post a SPID of what your truck actually is? I think I put it together by looking through thread, be great to know the details. This is a completely stock restoration, yes?

Great thread BTW!

Steve weim55 Colorado
Thanks, yeah it's an "original" build. For the most part exceptions will be HEI, probably an electric choke, and losing the voltage regulator & TCS. Dropping it 4/2.5.

The truck had a step bumper and camper mirrors, but will have sport instead. SPID is below.

_______________________________________________________________________________________________
Other than that I installed the intake today with my boy's help, and boardmember help too.

Applied a very thin coat of Permatex on the head-side water ports, and a thin coat on the front and back of the manifold. And of course a 1/4" bead of sealant on front and back of the block.

We installed two studs on one head for alignment. Unless someone knows better you can only do this on one head because of the bolt angle. One was enough though, we installed two bolts to line-up the other side before completely dropping the intake.

"Correct" torque varies by source anywhere from 25-35 ft. lbs. Happy medium is 30 ft. lbs. and it felt right. Yeah, I have some touch-up paint to do, I didn't take the time to figure it out beforehand, so doing it the hard way.

I tried installing the intake with the engine hoist, but the hoist won't center over the engine because the legs on the engine stand prevent it. That was an issue when we pulled the block, but we made it work. Hopefully it won't be an issue when we install the block and transmission, which looks like that's on come Monday.

"Wish" me luck. Any tips tips on how to pull a block off an engine stand appreciated, because like I say, the hoist won't center because the engine stand is in the way. I may have to grease up sleeve on the stand and slide the mount off the stand with the engine. I am using a load equalizer.
Attached Images

71 Custom Deluxe, SWB, 2WD, 402, A/C. I developed an assm. guide "kit" for restoring it from ground up. With assys, the guide accts for 1000s of OEM identifications and part numbers, all written in short order. 700+ images include assm, illust., charts, and points of interest. Much of the info. applies to all 67-72 GM trucks, and to a lessor degree all 67-72 GM vehicles. My build thread, and more on the guide https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...d.php?t=730025

Last edited by 71CHEVYSHORTBED402; 02-08-2019 at 12:37 AM.
71CHEVYSHORTBED402 is offline   Reply With Quote