View Single Post
Old 02-12-2019, 02:37 AM   #113
71CHEVYSHORTBED402

Re: Build that 71 402 already

Got her in. That's a lot of work man, I'm tired. Lots of board suggestions and research. This is what we did.

Torqued the flex plate to crank to 65 Ft. lbs. and 1-2 drops blue thread locker. Bolts are grade 8, include start washer. I had to drill out two holes on the plate a pinch because the replacement is a hair off.

Torqued the bell housing to block to 35 ft. pounds. We used a little anti-seize, I'm a little weary of stripping out the engine block, I've already seen what a stripped motor mount bolt hole looks like. We used two studs to line things up. Very cool set of bolts, the originals are nice, same with the torque converter bolts.

Torqued the flex plate to the converter to 35 lbs. and 1-2 drops blue thread locker. I've read some variances on the torque, anywhere from 35-45 ft. pounds. 35 ft. pounds felt nice, though I may have been able to hit 45. I believe 45 lbs. is for grade 8. The original bolts are 5.

I like energy suspensions transmission mount and Classic Heartbeat's motor mounts a lot. All I can say about engine mounts is if it's set just right you may hear a clank when they're dropped onto the perches. The perches have to be loose as you're installing the mounts. One big bolt was a real challenge:metal, new parts.

Only thing unexpected was the converter had slipped forward at some point. I suspect it slipped when we joined the bell housing to the block. If understand right, if the converter is set correctly and unmoved, then you have to pull them forward a pinch to contact the flex plate. I figured well, if it's already to the flex plate where else is going to go, the trans/engine are secured........The converter spins with little effort, and the bolt holes were nuts, so I think we're good. Assuming the torque converter was set right to begin with, and 99/100 it was, because I couldn't reach behind it and felt three stages, then speaking for a BBC, it's 8.5/10" from the converter nut to the front of the bell housing. EDIT: Really I don't feel great about that torque converter. Going to disconnect and double check.

Other than that lots of leverage. My boys helped, and the oldest really came through. The truck is his birthright. He's doesn't like Ochre so much...............Yet.........................................BTW weim55, I forgot you asked. I spent decades thinking about color, it's tough. Light blue is beautiful, but not necessarily with black. Dark blue is super too, looks amazing with black. Hugger orange and black is the cat's meow IMO, but they're everywhere. All the original colors are nice, but there's something about ochre I always return to. It looks great with black, sharp interior and that, subtle color, love or hate it. What I'm changing is adding four section ochre/white and full belts.
Attached Images

71 Custom Deluxe, SWB, 2WD, 402, A/C. I developed an assm. guide "kit" for restoring it from ground up. With assys, the guide accts for 1000s of OEM identifications and part numbers, all written in short order. 700+ images include assm, illust., charts, and points of interest. Much of the info. applies to all 67-72 GM trucks, and to a lessor degree all 67-72 GM vehicles. My build thread, and more on the guide https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...d.php?t=730025

Last edited by 71CHEVYSHORTBED402; 02-13-2019 at 01:27 PM.
71CHEVYSHORTBED402 is offline   Reply With Quote