View Single Post
Old 09-13-2017, 11:50 PM   #15
Captainfab
60-66 Nut

Re: Need advice on fixing broken rocker stud on Big Block..

Don't automatically assume that rebuilding your current heads will cost as much or more than new aftermarket heads. Most will say that it will but that is not the case in my area. Check with your favorite machine shop first.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bs46488 View Post
Did a little more digging around and think it's time to consider plan b.

I pulled a good stud out so I could get some measurements. Then I noticed this stud is mared where the rocker sits on the shroud. Wondering if I need longer studs and shanks for the rocker to sit on?

Then I looked closer at the #1 cylinder spring and see two of the coils touching and look on the back side to see the spring is cracked. So now this is a whole new problem.

Since now the heads need to come off, I guess my plan b choices are:

1) aftermarket heads (didn't really want to spend that kind of $$ right now)

2) have my local machine shop rebuild the heads (most likely it would just make financal sense to do #1)

3) do a quick patch job myself with new studs and springs. Never done this and I don't have all those tools. My guess is $400 - 500 in parts and probably 2-3 months turnaround for me.

4) LS swap, just because that's what everyone is doing now-a-days.

Thanks again for everyone's help. I've learned a lot on a topic I have zero experience with.

Brian

All Mark IV big blocks come with pushrod guide plates. Most come with 5/16" pushrods, but performance big blocks usually have 3/8" pushrods.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattfranklin View Post
Does the motor have guide plates for the push rods? Are the rockers self-aligning or are they the kind that need guide plates? That's an issue for small blocks, but not sure if BBCs have the same problem.
Hydroboost Mounting Plates HERE
Captainfab is offline   Reply With Quote