View Single Post
Old 09-05-2011, 10:49 PM   #11
Autoblueprint

Exclamation Re: ANOTHER Horn Problem - Need Help Please

Quote:
Originally Posted by srvivor71 View Post
It's a 71. The cancelling cam is brand new and it looks just the same as the old one, except not worn out. My thinking is that this leaves the turn signal switch (with the copper button) or a short. Before I spend money on the new T/S switch, I should check for a short. Electrical is not exactly my forte, so if anyone can tell me how to check for a short, I'd really appreciate it...
First let's check your horn relay:

Connect your test light lead to a good GROUND and with all three connectors plugged in at the horn relay...touch your test light tip to the green wire connector on the horn relay...the test light bulb should remain off. If the test light bulb lights on the green wire...the horn relay is bad...replace it...end of problem.

If the test light bulb does not light when testing the green wire:

To check for a short to GROUND:

Connect your test light lead to a B+ source...then when you touch a GROUND source ( like a bolt or sheet metal ) with the tip of your test light the bulb inside your test light will light verifing you have located a GROUND source.

So to check to see if your horn wire is shorted to GROUND:

Disconnect the BLACK wire at your horn relay and touch the connector with the tip of your test light. If the test light's bulb remains off...then you know there is no short to GROUND in the T/S switch harness. Repeat this test with the cancelling cam installed and see what the light does.