View Single Post
Old 06-05-2013, 09:33 AM   #120
gerfunken

Re: Scott's 1972 Chevy K-20. A place to start.

Excellent write-up, thanks for the insight, and it also explains why my tank has always read over-full in my truck (although I never really thought about it.)

Anyway, I know what you're saying about junkyard parts. I don't mind getting out there to pick them up, but for me, I'm stuck behind a computer for 8-10 hours a day, so it is very easy for me to look up, cross reference, etc. on the computer before I ever get out to the junk yard. Like above, I was able to find a link where someone did the conversion, then find the options of fuel tank sizes for the suburban, and finally get the dimensions so I can go measure things up. Some people do that in a junk yard, I sit behind a computer.

It also gives me a good idea of what I'm willing to spend for a part. If I was ok looking at $500 for a custom welded tank, it makes me think that $300 for an off the shelf tank might be ok, where I need to figure out the mounting, or $100 from a junkyard, and I get to spend the time R&R'ing the part.

Yes, I understand that my computer skills make me fat and slow, but I've got some serious gaming skills in the event that I get to the point where I never want to leave the couch again.

1972 Chevy K20
Picture Gallery
Build Thread

1930 Chevy AD
Picture Gallery

1929 Ford Model-A
Picture Gallery

1975 Triumph TR-6
Picture Gallery
gerfunken is offline   Reply With Quote