View Single Post
Old 03-19-2021, 01:21 PM   #8
Big Kev-O

Re: Adding a clutch to my fan - part?

I don't think adding a thermo clutch fan is going to help your situation much due to how they operate. It will reduce the speed of the fan but on a cold start you will discover the fan is actually engaged until the fluid is pumped back into the center reservoir. This can take over 10 minutes and even longer in cold temperatures due to the increased viscosity of the fluid. After the car sits the fluid falls down from the reservoir into the shear plates which causes the fan to be engaged upon startup. I know this from experience because I started with a brand new severe duty clutch and my truck sounded like a street sweeper for the first 10 minutes. All I could hear was wind then right before I got to work it would disengage and my truck would sound so much better. I switched to a regular duty fan, same issue. I got tired of hearing the fan over my motor and switched to dual electric.

This video explains the general operation but does nobody ever tells you that the fluid will drop down into the shear plates and cause the fan to be engage upon startup.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UwM4OqsLek4

Last edited by Big Kev-O; 03-19-2021 at 03:10 PM.
Big Kev-O is offline   Reply With Quote