View Single Post
Old 10-28-2017, 08:18 PM   #5
Aberdare

Re: 1963 GMC Step-Van 7

OK GM Guru's! If anyone feels up to the task, let's decipher some numbers!

The Vin Tag on my little beastie is still MIA, so if anyone has any ideas for other possible locations where it should, could, would, maybe... hiding, feel free to chime in and offer me some advice where else to look.

From the above picture of the Speedometer, the odometer shows 82,333 miles... so it COULD be a very real possibility that this is still the original engine. If this is the case, then it could assist in verifying something better than an educated guess for the model year. Engine Casting Number is 3850817, with casting markings further to the rear being 6 and D-29. The hyphen is half hidden by the dipstick tube. The Engine Serial Number is 066113645. The engine is painted a "bluish-green" colour. Please do remember that this is a Canadian Built "Shorty" - Meaning; built in Oshawa, Ontario... and the GVW rating for this vehicle is 4800 lbs so GVW - "A".

I do appreciate the time and effort put in by other members with some very extensive listings pertaining to casting numbers and date codes... but with this being a Canadian Built Vehicle, not everything is an exacting match, Hence the request for some assistance.

Thank You in Advance for sharing your Experience and Knowledge.

Abe
Attached Images

I'm just going to put an OUT-OF-ORDER sign on my forehead... and call it a day.

Last edited by Aberdare; 10-29-2017 at 10:08 AM. Reason: added GVW
Aberdare is offline   Reply With Quote