Thread: Berthas Build
View Single Post
Old 01-07-2011, 02:51 AM   #35
mosesburb
I had a V-8

Re: Berthas Build

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfairchild19 View Post
What all did you have to do to get yours to work with stock hoses? If you don't think that it was worth it, I might just go with the AN hoses and fittings to save the aggravation.
It was a bunch of bending and un-bending of bends, tweaking without twisting and so on. Not soooo bad, especially knowing which hoses to start with, but not alot of fun either.

Quote:
Also, how did you figure out the correct length for the pushrod that connects to the brake pedal?
That is a really good question. I'll have to get back to you on that one--been too long.....

Quote:
I got the hydroboost bracket flipped, drilled the bottom 2 holes in the firewall and the pedal assembly, opened the hole in the firewall for the retaining nut, and mounted the hydroboost on the firewall. Now I believe the only things left with the hydroboost is to figure out what I am going to do with the lines, figure out the right length for the rod that attaches to the brake pedal, figure out if the proportioning valve that came with this hydroboost unit will work for my application, and plumb all of my brake lines.
The prop valve should work. Plug one of the front output holes or plumb another line to utilize it.

You say you drilled two holes in the firewall. I drilled the other holes for the studs that stick out of the firewall in the hydroboost plate. IIRC, the lower holes would interfere with the column mounting bracket that bolts to the firewall. Maybe not?? Again, its been awhile.

Quote:
If I go with the AN route for the hydroboost lines, these are the parts I believe I will need:

Adapter from 18mm w/o-ring to -6AN X2
Adapter from 16mm w/o-ring to -6AN X1 Unless you do your return line in AN, then you will need three total
High Pressure AN Line from pump to hydroboost
High Pressure AN Line from hydroboost to steering box
Low Pressure Line(either AN for appearance or just rubber hose) from hydroboost return to pump
Same as above for steering box return to pump
T-fitting to join the two return lines

I believe that everything is there. If I am missing something feel free to post it.

Now I just need to source this stuff and figure out the right sizes for the return hoses and T-fitting. What kind of hose can I use for the return line and T-fitting?
You can use standard rubber AN line for the return hose, but the nipple in the hydroboost is not convertable to AN. You would have to machine the barb off of it and weld or silver solder an AN fitting on the nipple--*might* look goofy--might not though. The barb on the return line on the pump can be cut off and a AN fitting welded or silver soldered on. Regular P/S return line will be fine on this. Motormite makes a brass tee with three barbed nipples that can be use to tee the return line. Make the return from the steering box the straight through on the tee as it flows way more fluid than the return line from the hydroboost. All of the return line in this system is 3/8".

I would still consider having the hoses made up. You should be able to have them put the fittings and ferrules on the ends of your steel factory lines, buy approximately the right amount of hose, bring it home, mock up the lines so they fit right, mark the position of the hose to the ferrules with a Sharpie, remove everything from truck, take to hose making establishment and have them finish the assemblies by crimping the ferrules in the position you have them marked as. A little brake clean on a rag takes the remnants of the Sharpie off and you're done.

Quote:
I just mocked up my engine crossmember and motor mounts Tuesday night and I will begin welding them in tonight along with fabricating a crossmember to use with the stock transmission mount. Finally, no more blocks, jackstands, jacks, chains, or hoist locating it in the frame rails!
It sure is nice ot get rid of all that clutter around the motor so you can start adding all of the associated clutter of your own.

Quote:
I will get pictures up when I am finished with the transmission crossmember hopefully tonight or tomorrow night.
So, nothing tonight, that means the pics will be up promptly this evening, correct?? <winds up timer>