View Single Post
Old 01-08-2008, 10:14 PM   #3
Mickey_D
Dirteh Kitteh

Re: mileage and other questions

My 93 with a 4.3L Vortec (with the spider TBI) has the exact same transfer case shifting pattern as my 90 Silverado had. Manual shifter on the floor with the pathetic thermal actuating hubs on the front axle. I say pathetic because when you most need them at 40 below, they take forever to engage. Stupid idea to use in an environment that can and will hit 40 below on a regular basis 6 months of the year EVERY year, but nobody ever said automotive engineers were the brightest monkeys to ever pick up a pencil...

Mine is running like utter crap right now. There's obviously a vacuum leak somewhere that I can't find, either my fuel pressure regulator (new) or my fuel pump (original) is toast, probably needs a tune up in the worst way, and I should run a can or two of Seafoam through it just for ****s and giggles. But I got between 10 and 12 out of it before replacing the regulator. Haven't been able to drive it enough to get a mileage reading since.

Now, I've been told I have a 4L60E transmission, but it certainly shifts, sounds, and reacts exactly like the 700R4 I had in the Silverado. And the transfer case acts the same as well, even to the point that the shifter clicks in to 4H, but you've got to give a little bit more of a tug to actually engage the gears for the front axle. It also makes the identical low volume high pitch whine that the Silverado did, so I'm leaning towards it having the same transfer case.

Hope that info helps in your quest, Bob. Any more info needed, please don't hesitate to ask. Unless of course, my novels of replies get monotonous (as I've been told I do when I'm talking .....).

1955 Willys CJ-5 all original and the oldest CJ-5 on the road.
2001 Dodge Neon (wife's car)
1995 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited Edition SOLD
1981 K15 Custom Deluxe 4X4, rusty but trusty wood hauler. SOLD
1993 S-10 4X4 Tahoe SOLD

RIP ESLL

Last edited by Mickey_D; 01-08-2008 at 10:16 PM.
Mickey_D is offline   Reply With Quote