View Single Post
Old 06-12-2011, 10:01 PM   #1
Apollo 62C20

PUZZLER - Hydraulic Clutch.

Need some help folks!

Background: I have replaced the master cylinder, clutch slave cylinder and hydraulic clutch hose on my 1962 C20. When the clutch pedal is depressed the slave cylinder extends and pushes the clutch fork perfectly but after 2-3 seconds the slave cylinder begins to slowly retract and let the clutch engage. When you are watching it happen it looks as if a bleeder valve has been opened and fluid is slowly leaking out. If you pump the clutch it pumps right back up but it is a real pain while doing things like parking, waiting at a light or launching a boat. The entire system is new, fluid was from sealed containers and the brakes are functioning beautifully. I have bled the clutch 6-8 times over the last two weeks and nothing has changed. Suspecting a leak I peeled back the dust covers and checked both the slave and master for fluid but found them bone dry. The system doesn't seem to be losing any fluid as the reservoir has remained full.

Following the advice of forum threads I have also tried "blocking" the clutch fork while I bled. No change. I have also checked the line for bulges that may be allowing expansion. Nothin'. I "bench bled" the master again. Same. I have even bled all of the connection points. Same issue.

Am I crazy? In a sealed, non-leaking hydraulic system the slave cylinder has to track the movement of the master cylinder right?

Anyways, I need some ideas! I am close to taking it to a (gasp) mechanic.
Posted via Mobile Device
Apollo 62C20 is offline   Reply With Quote