View Single Post
Old 07-22-2010, 01:59 PM   #129
snowblind

Re: New Member - 72 Jimmy: Project Knuckledragger mountain commuter

My steering box has been leaking from the top seal since I bought the truck. In the winter it wasn't too bad but now that it's hot it's leaking more and getting fluid all over the leaf spring and tie rods.

Here's a few shots of the offender after a good scrub down and degreasing.

And now the new Red Head re-manufactured box from Wes @ Classic Heartbeat. I chose the quick ratio model.

Installation was fairly straight forward. I kept the box mounted very loosely until I got everything else hooked back up and then I tightened it down. I did break the PS Return hard line though as it was too corroded to spin. I recommend ordering a new set of hoses for when you do the box. To fill the box I filled the pump and then turned the steering wheel a few turns and it sucked the fluid into the box. Repeated 5-6 times and then did it with the engine running to bleed out the last of the bubbles.

The new box is nice with a much, much smaller dead spot in the center. Steering effort feels a little higher and that makes sense because if it's moving more distance with less steering wheel input it's going to take more effort.

'72 Jimmy Build
snowblind is offline   Reply With Quote