View Single Post
Old 09-09-2020, 04:30 PM   #3
nikwho

Re: Fresh 383 SBC smoking, fouling plugs

Quote:
Originally Posted by geezer#99 View Post
Leave the modulator on but splice in a 6 inch piece of clear hose. Hardware store has them. Trans fluid will show up easily if it’s there.
Pull the carb off and have a look at the transition slots. They should look square.
You might need to lower your floats a bit to just at the bottom of the glass.
And locked in mechanical timing might be needed if nothing else works. That’s for later.
And how are your valves adjusted?
Could be holding valves open a thin hair too.
I’ve always set mine at 1/4 turn from zero lash.

That should keep you busy for awhile.
I’m old and off to snoresville! LOL!
I've got some 3/16" clear motorcycle fuel line. That should do the trick. Ill swap that in place of my vacuum line and see if its pulling tranny fluid up into the manifold. Im definitely thinking that its not a carb issue, though I have found that more often than not, when a problem is really kicking my butt, there are compounding problems. It has run the same with both my Quick Fuel Carb and my Edelbrock carb, so likely not carb related. Ill run through setting the valves again. I may have an intake manifild sealing issue along the valley. I have no leaks around the perimeter of the intake, but might have along the bottom.

When my first set of plugs were fouled, cylinders 3 & 4 both the front of the middle four cylinders. That may be indicative of something. Then I believe that it fouled 7 & 8 next. These are World Products iron heads. I've never run them before, but they may be the issue. I may just yank them and have my machinist go through them and verify that they are straight/flat, and make sure that valves all check out. Then reassemble with new head gaskets and intake manifold gaskets. If none of that resolves the issue, Im wondering if some of the rings were installed upside down? That could explain the smoking issue, but I wouldn't think that itd be this down on power, and feel so "loaded up"! But, I would expect it to feel loaded up if lots of oil (or fluid) is fouling plugs.

I believe that I went 1/4 turn tighter than zero lash when I adjusted all of the valves. Ive always done it this way, and never had a problem. But, I would expect some issues if it was hanging valves open slightly. But, wouldn't you expect hard starting issues with that, if it were hanging valves open? BUT, perhaps it isn't hanging valves open before oil pressure builds up, and once it fires and build oil pressure, its holding them open? Certainly wouldn't hurt to re-adjust. Though, IIRC, I re-adjusted all valves when it was first doing this.

I've played with advancing and retarding my timing, both with vacuum connected to ported vacuum source, and with vacuum advance disconnected. And, this issue has persisted with not jut two carburetors, but two separate HEI distributors. One a known good working unit from the trucks last SBC, and a brand new unit.

I do think that a compression test is in order! I'll try to get that done tomorrow, as I am carpeting the stairs in our house today.

Thanks for your response, and your taking time to try to help me out! I've always been able to work through little issues like this in the past.

Nik