View Single Post
Old 06-21-2023, 01:09 PM   #2
RustyPile

Re: Steering shaft ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunky View Post
So I installed a 79 power steering Box on my 67 (originally manual) with 1/4 sspacers

When I put this together it appeared my wheel was off 180 degrees, I centered the wheel and had the truck aligned.. was fine but turned sharp left. but not right and turn signals cancel turning right but not left.. (so after doing some research my original manual gear box shaft was round no flat so the steering shaft could of been on in a different position then the power box.)

So then I relocked the pitman arm as others have done and of course the wheel is still off again and turn signals still don't cancel turning left ..

So I have read about the different rag joints and how some are clocked different so this puts the wheel off 180 degrees.. I don't see a notch on my steering shaft at the steering wheel nut to align the shaft and wheel to original setting.

So is there another way to tell if my steering shaft and wheel are in the proper position before I have it re aligned. To make my turn signals cancel again ?
The problem you're having is because the spacers moved the gear box to the left somewhat.. With the gear box centered in it's turn count and in the straight ahead position, in order for the center link to attach to the pitman arm, The wheels have to be turned slightly to the left. They can be brought back to the straight ahead position by shortening one tie rod and lengthening the other. With this arrangement, you will always have more turn to one side than the other.

Later frames were notched for clearance for the gear box, but '67s had no such notch.. The proper way to install a PS gear box such as yours would be to clearance the frame so the box can be mounted flat against the frame..
RustyPile is offline   Reply With Quote