View Single Post
Old 12-06-2004, 09:08 AM   #20
ed455
Captain Ed

Quote:
Originally Posted by LONGHAIR
Kobalt tools are made by Snap-on. Nice stuff but they are not exactly bargain priced either.
No anymore, they're not. Lowes had a falling out with Snap-on (J.H. Williams). Snap-On owned the plant where Kobalt was made but they were not spec'd by Snap-On, nor forged by Snap-on. They were very good tools, but not on par with Snap-On. Currently, Kobalt tools are made by Danaher to the same specs as the J.H. Williams manufactured pieces. The tool boxes are now made by Waterloo.

Danaher is the parent company of Matco tools. Matco is an excellent brand of tools, but again, that does not mean that Kobalt=Matco. Different plant, different specs. They're made to compete with the likes of Husky and Craftsman. Matco is made to compete with Mac and Snap-On.

Having made my living with my tools, I will say that there is no comparison between the retail consumer brand tools and the tool truck tools. It's a matter of whether the quality and functionality difference is worth the extra $$$. I find Kobalt to be superior to both Husky and Craftsman. Now that I don't make a living with my tools, I feel that they are a good compromise.
ed455 is offline   Reply With Quote