View Single Post
Old 08-23-2008, 12:45 PM   #106
muddpile

Re: Project Tornado: A Natural Disaster

The TH425 came in Olds Toronados and Cadillac Eldorados. Not sure the years. The engine is a 455 from 1969 with the "C" heads on it and the torquey cam. It makes just shy of 400hp at 4500rpm I believe, and just shy of 500lb/ft torque at 3200rpm if I recall. Power is not an issue in this case, but amazingly getting it to hook if I wanted to wheelstand, is.

Since I've put this on the road, the whole world figures they can do it in a weekend, everyone's building rear engine trucks, just a bolt in thing, right? . Yes, the idea is simple, but what people don't realize is the complexity of a subframe, the full length 2x5 frame, the custom rear suspension, cooling issues, and most importantly, rear geometry. I can't count how many CV boots I tore off trying to get it just right..... The main problem is the transaxle is too wide for the truck. The rear fenders had to be flared, and I can only fit one offset of steelies on the rear, no more no less. The bed has to be removed to remove the rear wheels, no question. I never thought I'd put 6 months work into a vehicle without having some BIG changes, but in the end I'm happy with how it's turning out. It's no bolt in, that's for sure, but nothing worth it ever is, right?
muddpile is offline   Reply With Quote